Thursday, July 28, 2011

Biscuit Donuts

I came across this recipe last week and I thought - fried biscuits?  Count me in!

I woke up Saturday morning and since I had all the necessary ingredients I decided to go ahead and give it a whirl.

The ingredients couldn't be simpler - 1 can of regular biscuits (not flavored, not flaky), enough vegetable oil to cover 1/2 the biscuit when placed in the frying pan and powdered sugar (red ceramic chicken optional).



Take each biscuit and use your fingers to make a hole in the center, pinching the edges.



Heat up enough oil in your frying pan (medium high heat) to cover half the biscuit donut.  Place in the pan and cook until golden brown, turning once. 



I found that I had the best luck using a chopstick to turn the biscuits.  It was easy to manipulate the golden mounds of dough and keep them from splashing you with oil.  Also it didn't pinch them like tongs would.

Once the color of perfection, allow them to drain on a paper towel.  Pour powdered sugar into a brown paper lunch bag, add the donut and shake until it is adequately covered.



Then, devour.



Now, I don't expect these to replace Krispy Kreme by any means.  And they are more like a little funnel cake than a donut, but who doesn't love funnel cakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment