Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY Bird Print

Have you ever had inspiration for a project get into your brain and you just knew that you would explode if you didn't make that project right away?  That is how I felt about this one.  The inspiration hit me for this idea out of nowhere.  I had the image in my head of what I wanted the finished project to look like and I just had to get it onto the canvas.

Here is what I made and I will try to give you a tutorial of some sorts for how I arrived at this finished project.



First I started off with a basic white canvas purchased from a craft store.

I used self-adhesive vinyl letters and put them in the lower corner for where I wanted my text to be.



I tore pages from an old phone book and used Mod Podge to put them onto the canvas to give it some texture. Be careful to leave the corner with your vinyl letters uncovered by the paper.

Once the Mod Podge had dried, I started layering my colors.  I used a combination of blues, browns, gold and bronze.  I also used a stencil to add some background to the corners and bottom of the canvas.

Once I had finished painting the background, I removed the vinyl letters, exposing the white canvas underneath.

I then painted the tree branch and bird to finish off the look that I was going for.

I have since made a second canvas using the same design but going with different shades of brown.  I also free handed the words around the tree branch instead of using the vinyl letter method.



Good luck but most of all - have fun with it!

Parties that I am linking to:

No comments:

Post a Comment